This summer my boys and I planted some fruits and veggies to grow in our first garden! I crossed my fingers that at least one thing would survive because my 5 year old took care of it every day and I knew he’d be so proud to pick something. Well, we had so many things grow and the one thing we were the most excited about were sweet potatoes! As soon as the first signs of fall showed up, my son and I dug up our sweet potatoes and went to work on our favorite dessert-
Sweet Potato Pie!
Baking in the kitchen is so much more fun when you have a little helper This year I tried this recipe, from MomsWhoThink.com
Sweet Potato Pie
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Beat until blended then add egg yolks and beat.
3. Stir in sweet potatoes, vanilla, milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites. When foamy, slowly add 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff. Fold into the sweet potato mixture.
5. Place in pie crust, bake about 40 minutes until firm. Serve with whipped cream.
We threw some chopped pecans on top for a little crunch and it was oh so yummy!
What are your favorite fall recipes?
If you enjoyed this recipe post, please take a moment to stumble, repin on Pinterest or share below!