So I was sitting down making my meal plan last week and I decided that since my kids were off school for Christmas break, I would write down a few homemade breakfasts as well.
I was surfing Pinterest (of course) and I was looking at my board entitled “breakfasts”, and came across this recipe for Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake. I wrote it down on my list and finally made it on Friday. I do NOT know why I put of making this for so long, it is A-MA-ZING!!
If you love blueberries, you have to make this!! Look at how many blueberries are in this cake! It’s seriously bursting!
The recipe says to use a 9″ pan, I used an 8×8 square and it had a nice thickness to it. You really have to try this recipe, you will not regret it!!
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tsp. lemon zest or more — zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour (set aside 1/4 cup of this to toss with the blueberries)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
½ cup buttermilk***
* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
** This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top
*** To make homemade buttermilk, place 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup. Fill cup with milk until it reaches the 1-cup line. Let stand for five minutes.
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Meanwhile, toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour, then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
4. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray. Spread batter into pan. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake for 35 minutes. Check with a toothpick for doneness. If necessary, return pan to oven for a couple of more minutes. (Note: Baking for as long as 10 minutes more might be necessary.) Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.