Tis the season of the pumpkin! I don’t know about you but I love fall because of all the yummy and fun things it brings. I love pumpkin, I love apples, I love pumpkin picking, taking the kids to the pumpkin farm. Makes me feel like a kid again!
I decided to welcome fall into my home yesterday, with my 4 year old daughters help. We made pumpkin chocolate chip oatmeal bars!
The recipe is really simple, and its a great alternative to store bought granola bars.
First you need to gather up your supplies. Oh, and check out the below pic of the photo bombing baby!
You will need the following: brown sugar, canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix), mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life brand), baking powder, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, flour, molasses, old fashioned rolled oats (NOT quick cook or instant), vanilla, milk, egg.
- 2.5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant or quick oats)
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1/4 tsp nutmeg + 1/4 tsp ground cloves)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup almond milk (regular or soy milk would be fine)
- 1 large egg (or vegan option, below)
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix together oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Add in the vanilla, pumpkin, milk, egg, and molasses. Mix together until evenly combined. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Do NOT overmix
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool and cut into bars. Bars stay fresh for up to one week in a covered container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
When the mixture is cool, cut into bars and serve. They have a nice, chewy texture to them, and have my 4 yr olds seal of approval!