Ever since I first found this macaroni and cheese recipe, it’s become a staple in our dinner line-in. It’s so easy and delicious. A genuine comfort food, which is my favorite kind of food. However, Danny quickly got of it. So I decided to switch up this recipe and make it a little more exciting.
I’m not great with spices, though I’ve added Trader Joe’s curry powder to this macaroni and cheese recipe (minus the pizza part) and it was fabulous. My favorite way to change up this recipe though, is to make a hybridized dish with my other favorite food – pepperoni pizza.
Essentially, you’ll make the macaroni and cheese, and then used it like a crust for your pizza! It’s genius, really. And since I added vegetables, it makes it healthier! (We’ll disregard the unhealthiness of the pepperoni. ;-P )
Pepperoni Pizza Macaroni and Cheese
- 8 oz. (1¾ cups) macaroni or other medium tubular pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika plus more for sprinkling on top
- 2½ cups milk
- 2 cups grated medium cheddar cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Pepperoni slices (as much as desired)
- Optional: Mixed peppers, onions, etc. for “pizza” toppings
- Boil the pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cool water, and return to the pan you boiled it in. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour, salt, pepper, and paprika. Stir constantly over medium heat for about three minutes.
- Stir in the milk.
- Keeping on medium heat, whisk constantly for about 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, and stir in 2 cups of cheddar cheese, stirring until melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles, tossing until coated.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top*
- Add pepperoni and vegetables as desired
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese on top is melted and topping are cooked
(*If you choose to make this recipe as just plain ole macaroni and cheese, use another cup of cheddar cheese on top and bake as directed)